National 12 - find out more...

Burghfield Open Meeting

Started by ifoxwell, 10 Mar 2018, 07:35

« previous - next »

ifoxwell

So Hannah and I are hoping to bring Pepsi along to Burghfield for our first 12 open meeting. Its a bit complicated with family commitments etc but Ive just pay'd the entry to provide us with some added incentive :-)

Its described as fast a furious event so what can we expect. I do vaguely know Burghfield from racing a Blaze there 12+ years ago so what are we likely to have in the way for courses, number of laps, how many boats, will we be on the same course as the OK's etc etc.

Thanks

Ian

Pepsi 3441

tom lee

Hi Ian

We are expecting to run about 8 short races of about 15-20minutes.
Courses are likely to be single lap trapezoids with one or two beats but the SIs will give the option of going round the cans using the fixed club marks.
The OKs will use the same marks but dufferent start the trapezoid course allows an inner loop and outer loop which almost guarantees that the two fleets never meet.
We usually have 15-20 N12s and a dozen OKs

SIs should be published during the week.

See you on Saturday

Tom
N3545
Tom<br />N3545

Kevin

This has been one of my favourite events for the past few years, it's great fun. The short race lengths means nobody gets left miles behind and the quick turnaround between them stops you getting cold. If you can get there, I highly recommend this event. Gutted to have to be missing it this year.

Kevin

ifoxwell

We have only said Pepsi once so far, and that was in very light winds... so the current forecast of cold, possibly snow, and a good breeze is looking a little intimidating.

Not that will stop us coming along but it would be nicer if the wind would calm down a bit or the weather warm up

:)

Ian

ifoxwell

Things are stacking up against us being able to attend I'm afraid.

The clutch went on the car yesterday, although its at Mr Clutch as I type and will hopefully be fixed... however Hannah isn't so keen on the weather!

We have weather warnings in place for the south east now, and given that we will be having our daughter and dog looked after by friends she is naturally concerned that even if she could pluck up the courage to go sailing, the journey there and back could be quite fraught!

From what I hear that Exmoor Beasty and Bala Massacre have been cancelled so who makes that call on our open, given that I expect many of us will be travelling?

Ian

3513SL

A few Laser events have also been cancelled as has a local Finn Open.

We're not too keen on a 2hr30min drive towing the N12 in the snow, to then sail with a windchill of minus 5c!

The roads probably won't be too bad but we won't be risking it tomorrow unfortunately.
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

StuW

Same here unfortunately. Weather around us is meant to be pretty bad so as I was in two minds anyway we are giving it a miss.
Stuart and Theo
N3546

John m

The weather won...

Six boats put their masts up...  Well done to them.
Three launched...
Two completed a race...

The plan is to try again in October apparently

It was jolly cold. My boat never got of the garage, let alone on the road to Burghfield.  Frankly, I am hoping for warmer weather when we go skiing in April.

n12 Bottom Banner