National 12 - find out more...

Crazy Diamond

Started by philipcosson, 18 Jun 2021, 10:28

« previous - next »

philipcosson

Hi All,

I was a N12 sailor a loooong time ago, with my son in a baggy trousers. It's been 14 years out of sailing (since my crew ended up 6'4"). I am eyeing up a return and saw N3500 availble. I well remember this being the peak of technology back in the day and seeing it at the dinghy show!

My question is - what should I look out for in an old carbon boat like this? does carbon go 'soft', it is after all just resin composite like glass. Does it take in water? What weight should the hull be (without the lead).

Phil
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

philipcosson

Ohh - and if anyone else has a fairly recent design for sale - preferably with carbon rig - please get in touch! I'm 'up north' (part of the 'red wall') but will be traveling to Norfolk and Milton Keynes next week, so happy to come and look around there also

grazz

Hi Phil

Carbon doesn't go soft or absorb water really so the 12s built in the last 20-25 years are generally in pretty good shape.

N3500 is a Big Issue which is a reasonably stable design. She might have a modified floor and may not be double bottomed throughout so worth checking whether that concerns you. If you fancy a more tippy design then some Feeling Foolishes have been coming up.

All up minimum weight is 78kg (including mast and centre board). I'd expect the certificate to show she is close to that and ideally there should be a few Kg of correctors for some future proofing.

Key things to look out for a cracks in the hull joints - but this hasn't been a problem in the Big Issues. Carbon - Foam does dint so have a look for those but these are typically cosmetic.

Where abouts to do you plan to sail and what sort of all up weight do you expect to be sailing with?

Regards

Graham

philipcosson

I was based at Scaling Dam previously - sailing in the handicap races there. I did do Tynemouth and Ripon opens a few times. I also sailed at the inlands in Northampton.

My nearest club is TSSC which is a small 36 acres in the rolling dales. I could also travel further to Scaling, Derwent or Ripon.

This will be the first step to getting back on the water, I have a friend who is keen to crew at 10 stone and i'm (cough) 15 (cough)

Do you think a big issue would do well with a foiling rudder? Having read some of the posts from the last few years this seems to have been the big innovation - how does that affect ideal crew weights?

grazz

Phil
The foil rudder has been quite an innovation. It works with some designs better than other though and I'm not sure if anyone has tried a foiling rudder on a Big Issue. Designs with more rocker and less wetted surface area seem to suit foils so I'm not sure it will work on a Big Issue which has quite a flat planing area. In theory the winged rudder should help the boat carry more weight but I sail at the lighter end of the weight range so can't really comment.

If you are sailing at in the region of 25 Stone all up then I'd strongly recommend a Final Chapter as they are proven to carry weight well thought there have been some heavy weight crews in Big Issues who have done well I think the Final Chapter would be a safer bet. There is one for sail on the website at the moment https://www.national12.org/adverts/index.php?page=item&id=1788

Happy choosing
Graham

philipcosson

3513SL

Echo Graham's comments re Final Chapter - have proven to carry more weight and with a T-Foil remain very competitive.

Simon Hipkin Boats in Essex has successfully retro-fitted T-Foils to a few Final Chapters now and would be happy to do another I'm sure!
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

angus

Hi Philip, I remember you, we used to race each other for last place back in the day. It would be great to see you back in a 12. With the weights your talking about, I would agree with the others that a Final Chapter is probably the boat for you. On T foils, while there is no doubt they make a big difference particularly to boats designed for foils, from my limited experience you have to get everything right before you can take full advantage of the foil, and when you get it wrong it can go very wrong! Which ever way you go I am sure you will have great fun. I would suggest particularly if you sail at a club that will give you the age related handicap to start off with an AC boat which people can hardly give away at the moment, when you get sailing well then think about a late Final Chapter and think about fitting a foil.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

philipcosson

Thanks for the reply Angus! I remember last place - my most consistent result!

n12 Bottom Banner