National 12
Sidebar

Vintage planking

Started by sean C, 21 May 2007, 10:04

« previous - next »

sean C

Does anyone know what type of plywood was generally used in the 60's for planking up.  My Sparklet needs a repair to a couple of planks which are getting a bit soft here and there  - and ideally I would like the repairs to be made of the same material if possible?.

I know the colour won't match after 40 years of UV but hey she might last another 40!

Sean C. N2154

johnk

Memory says utile or gaboon. Utile takes polyurethane paint or varnish better but is denser. I think Wyche and Coppick used utile.

Roly Mo

The chances of finding Utile faced plywood at the current time are low - probably better off with something like Sapele which should be readily available.  My guess is that 6mm 5 ply faced wbp or marine ply should do the job.  My Sparklet (N2149) looks to be planked in mahogany but is certainly not Utile (which is a very stripy wood).

Roly Mo

darebarry

Try Robbins timber at Bristol, they keep a good range of ply and are always most helpful.
Thats where the Pudding Boats go shopping.

sean C

Thank you for your comments Dare, John and Roly Mo. Will try Robbins Timber - Still not sure if Gaboon or Sapele will match best. The planks on N2154 remind me of that pale colour that old fashioned mahogany goes when exposed to the sun.  Maybe I will get a sheet of both.  

Dare what did you use for the  double bottom in Paradise Pudding - because I think that looks kind of similar?

Sean C N2154.  

darebarry

Hi. Ply used was Robbins Etite gaboon. If you let me have your add. I can send you a bit to match if that would help.
Cheers Dare