National 12
Sidebar

Deck stepped masts?

Started by beans, 02 Mar 2007, 08:51

« previous - next »

beans

Hi, I am looking to buy my first 12 for the new season.  I have seen one boat with a deck stepped mast.  It is the only one I have seen with this feature.   Can anyone advise me on how tuning such a rig would vary from conventional (floor stepped) mast.    What are the advantages of deck stepping?  And....are there many 12s rigged this way?    Thanks in anticipation!

Antony (Guest)

The answer is that there are a few boats with a deck stepped mast, maybe 5 or 6?  At least two of these were built by Kevin Driver to helm himself at a time when he was one of the top crews in the Merlin. He basically lifted the Merlin set up into a 12.  

In my view the reason that they are not more popular is that the main benefit is being easily able to use rake to depower the rig, and the 12 rig is overpower less than the Merlin and so this is less necessary. There is no theoretical reason not to be able to be basically replicate the fastest rig settings of a floor stepped rig if you buy a deck stepped one, and indeed Burce and Clare Johnson are currently going pretty well with their deck-stepped Chapter.

More importantly, if you want more advice on specific boats then please get in touch with me so that I can help guide you a little.  Buying a 12 is a slightly more complicated process than in a one-design class but there is plenty of advice available.

Antony
Chairman, NTOA

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Another small reason against the deck stepped mast is that it is less convenient to step onshore - you need two people to set it up. With a keel stepped mast, one person can step the mast, shut the mast gate and go off and have a cup of tea!
Regards
Ken Goddard

rick perkins

The Merlins at our club somtimes drop their masts in error when they drop the jib as there is of course no forestay.

Deck step is good for extreme raking but is not as user friendly ...

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Mikey C

I could rig mine by myself, actually found it easier than a keel stepped rig. And I never lost the mast as the jib rode the forestay instead of acting as it.

I think Kevin made three and I've made three. I'm pretty sure there are more. Main problem is the mast CofG rules mean you cant get a mast on the minimum weight with the centre of gravity as low as a keel stepped mast. I had a very light mast with a kilo of lead in it and still couldn't get within a foot of the CofG limit.

Deck stepping is great for making a stronger boat as the bulkhead layout can be more effective.

Cheers

Mike

Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

beans

Thanks all, that is really useful.  No concerns about dropping the mast here, I have had couple of boats in other classes with deck masts and have not dropped one yet. (!)   Good point about super raking and stiffer construction, you have put my concerns about deck stepped masts to back of mind. Cheers.
Does anyone know if there'll be a 12 stand at boat show, planning to be there on Saturday 6th.

Jerry G (Guest)

Stand N6 in main concourse

Mikey C

I think it might now be S2 or 3, due to the fact that N6 doesnt have room to put the mast up! It will be somewhere on the main concourse though...
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

Jimbo42

Hey Mikey!
Is it going to be one of  your boats then?

Cheers!

Jim.

Paul Turner N2487/3500 (Guest)

Greetings - I am with Mike on putting the mast up; I find it easier than a full mast. Just need to learn how to tune the dxmn thing! And it would be nice to have a Big Issue and a Foolish on the stand wouldn't it! ;D