National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

N 3249

Started by IanL, 04 Nov 2006, 03:54

« previous - next »

IanL

This boat is currently for sale. However the current owner does not have a measurement cert. As it appears in the N12 handbook, is that enough to guarantee that it measures? Anyone cast any light on the design (Rob Peebles: Brand Loyalty)? Previous owner but one out there? Apparently current owner has only had it since June...As we have just been nastily burnt whilst selling on a Topper (after owning it for nealry a decade, we were somewhat shocked to find it reported as stolen...) I am quite keen to know something of its history...

Thanks as ever. Ian

John Meadowcroft

Ian

I remember 3249.  You can find out about the certification history of the boat by getting in touch with Kevan Bloor.  I think that you are correct in assuming that if it is the N12 handbook it probably once measured.  Depends on how a subsequent owner may/or may not have altered it as to whether it measures today though.  Given that it is a one-off you can reliably make the assumption that it did not set the N12 world on fire in its hey day...  However Rob also designed the Baggy Trousers so it has good pedigree, but like most designs since 1981 may not be better and thus more popular than the Baggy.  It has been in the Salcombe area for years and passed through a number of hands.

If you buy it you can apply to the NTOA to have a certificate issued (if it has been measured, and I would expect that it has).  It then becomes your responsibility to sail the boat in accordance with said certificate.

John

IanL

Thanks John.
Very helpful. Looking through the N12 handbook it looks as if Rob Peebles went thorugh a number of designs at about that time.
My re-introduction to 12s was to helm a Pipedream under a Welsh hill in a F5. We bounced on the trnosm to good effect, and decided that perhaps mr Peebles knew waht he was up to! Shortly thereafter I managed to persuade the powers that be that our second 12 would be just the thing. Nearly a decade on, I'm thinking about another. As regards the design, I don't suppose I'll be setting any 12 fleets on fire either, but I do much prefer sailing them to pretty just about anything esle I have tried ( and no, I have tried my son's Intl Moth yet - nor am I particularly tempted...).

A phone call to Kevan seems to be the next step.

Thanks again.

Ian

n12 Bottom Banner