National 12
Sidebar

Beginners guide to N12 ownership

Started by rick perkins, 04 Sep 2006, 10:40

« previous - next »

rick perkins

Having never owned a dev class dinghy before and having not owned a class of boat with a measurement certificate for 15 years it is dawning on me that there is an ammount of "admin" that goes with owning a boat of this type ...

Is there a guide anywhere to help with this?

Seems there are issues like getting certificates transfered, boyancy tests etc etc to deal with.

Is there an outline document/web page on these issues?

If not assumimng the class is looking to attract new owners it may be a good idea to put one together ...

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Antony (Guest)

Rick,
Good question, and I suspect that you are right that it is something we could look at.  You can/should or will when you join get a pack of information from the NTOA if you have not already requested it.

Most of the 'admin' is in fact not related to the development class, but is typical for any class that is not one of the new single-maker one designs and so the same for a Lark or Firefly too.  The basic thing that you need to do is to join the NTOA (please) and to send the certificate in to have the boat re-registered with you as the owner.  The single form to do both of these things is at the following address:
http://www.national12.org/ntoa.shtml

Do not worry about the bouyancy test, it is now a bit of a joke since the RYA told us all to change the system to one in which the owner simply signs off in the presence of a witness.  In any case a well maintained DB 12 is generally regarded as having too much rather than too little bouyancy, wheras the old boats were not in the same position.

Congratulations on your purchase, I look forward to seeing you onthe water soon,
Antony

THG

Rick,

Can you comment on why you chose the N12 when you're other boat is a Musto Skiff - why not go for another double hander with kite?  It may give us some insight into how best we could market / develop the class.

Thx.

Kean
THG

rick perkins

regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

THG

The link is there but maybe not as obvious as it should be;

http://www.national12.org/downloads/Publicity.pdf  - can be found in a couple of places under the Contact US then the sub menu Join Association - but does take a few clicks to find.....

THG

Tim L (Guest)

Hi Rick,

welcome to the class.  I'm down in Kent with 3497 and intending on doing the round sheppey race this weekend - I'm on holiday all week so if you want any help with the boat drop me a line at tla_epi@yahoo.co.uk

Regards

Tim

rick perkins

Hi Tim,

Where are you based?

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Tim L (Guest)

Well, normally Aberdeen but until next monday I'll be down just south of Maidstone.