National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Time for a  purchase...

Started by Jon P (Guest), 13 Jul 2006, 10:00

« previous - next »

Jon P (Guest)

Hi all,

I had my first sail in a twelve last night thanks to a very nice couple at our sailing club and my partner and I really enjoyed it.  We only had it for 15mins or so but we enjoyed it and I it will certainly be a challenge to master. We managed to get a good rocking horse going at one stage!.  Having only ever really sailed 'plastic fantastics' I was suprised at how well she behaved.  

Anyway I think it is time for us to join the clan!  So we are in the hunt for a boat.  We sail inland on a medium sized pond. We  have a modest budget (under 1000) but looking to spend 600 as there seems to be plenty at that price.

Any suggestions on boats or what designs are more competitive at that price?  We are based in Nottingham.

Thanks

Jon

Antony (Guest)

Jon,
Good decision, and I am happy to hear that it only took 15 minutes!

For the budget that you are talking about any of the following designs are worth consideration:
Tigress, Tiger, Pipedream, Cheshire Cat or an early Crusader if you are lucky.  There are, as you know, lots of other designs many of which would be fine such as the rough diamond, which takes me to point two.  Make sure that before you buy a particular boat you try to check it out with somebody who knows about the class.

Looking at the list if you can face a drive then certainly worth seeing if 3215 is still for sale.

Good luck, and ask on this forum or email me if you have more questions.

Antony
N3484

grazz

Hi Jon, there's a buyers guide on the website which might help you decide http://www.national12.org/buyers/buyers_guide.shtml

To help with the guidance can you let us know what crew weight are you planning on sailing with?

Happy choosing

Graham

Jon P (Guest)

I am about 13  ish and guessing other half is about 9.5.
21ish

Jon

Roly Mo

Have a look at the Cheshire Cats on the list - they are a good boat for inland water.  I'd far rather sail my Cat than my Double Bottomed Chapter in the majority of conditions on restricted waters - she sails beautifully and is much easier to tack!

Hope you find a boat and join the class soon,

Bernard

Eugene Travers Jones   (Guest)

Eugene Travers Jones   (Guest)

Jon P (Guest)

Hi,

I would definately be interested in a few photos as I am still hunting desperately, please email the below email address.

Many Thanks
Jon

n12 Bottom Banner