National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

N3339 The Holy Grail

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 12 Mar 2007, 05:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3339 The Holy Grail.  Design: Crusader 88, designed by Phil Morrison in 1988
Previous boat names: Broadsword. Scarlet O'Hara, Betty Swallocks.

THG

Current Owner Kean Gunton.  Sailed at South Cerney Sailing Club.  Sports a carbon rig and a cream coloured hull.
THG

JohnMurrell

I renamed her The Holy Grail for a number of reasons:
1 - The Crusaders were chasing The Holy Grail
2 - Persuaded Emma to crew for me; getting a sibling to crew is always a family holy grail
3 - Who on earth would want to sail a boat called S****y B******s, definately not Emma who was an impressionably 19 at the time!

The boat was rescued from Batson Carpark, Salcombe where Simon Gibbens had abandoned her when he bought his trawler, sorry Salcombe Yawl!

The attached pics are from when I sorted her out, changed the hull to yellow from red and then sold her to Kean.

JohnMurrell

Sussed out how to do it!

THG

Thanks John - pics of before I got her.  Still looks about the same  ;) although she had a small war wound on one of the decks from BW 06 and had to drop in a new piece of deck / veneer - kindly supplied by Roly Mo.

Some history from the 12 handbook - Previously named Scarlett O'Hara (probably painted red when first built by Jerry Ledger as he recalled at BW 06) - saiiled by G. Cranford-Smith from Chipstead SC and won the Jenny Lee Rose Bowl in 1994 (part of NWNW).

Kean
THG

THG

Looking good at our Open meeting 21st April 07
THG

Graham Cranford Smith (Guest)

Yep. This boat was my second Twelve and first ever new boat. It appeared on the 12 stand at the dinghy exhibition the year it was built, my having fitted it out. It was originally red.
It was probably quite a good boat though we never did that well in the class there being some really excellent helms, the majority of whom are still in the class. We sold the boat to Simon Gibbons in around 96 and as is recorded elsewhere he may not have had much use for it which was a shame.
Fiona and I did win a race at NWNW in astonishing conditions which went from flat calm to a solid six in a short space of time. The race organisation was a bit chaotic and Jon Ibbotson, who by rights should have won, misinterpreted the signals from the race officer and retired. He was none too amused and I dont blame him. 

icecreamman

Normal for Norfolk then ....

n12 Bottom Banner