National 12
Sidebar

Vintage boats and events

Started by Dave Croft, 17 Aug 2024, 10:37

« previous - next »

Dave Croft

I still have my Cheshire cat in the garage, now 48 years old but not considered a vintage 12! I noticed that the vintage champs had 5 entries this year and I was wondering if maybe opening this event to post-clinker boats like mine would provide for a larger number of entries? In the Merlin's the vintage category is based on boats over 30 years old so each year a few more older boats become eligible. We could do something similar or by adding (say) a Classic category? Restrictions or handicap could be based on things like carbon spars, laminated sails to encourage the boats to be as they were originally? Just a thought, there are hundreds of boats out there languishing in sheds and garages unused.
Dave C (N 2935)

3513SL

Hi David,

I think the idea is sound - we should try it, if we don't then we won't know the difference it may make. There are plenty of boats in garages and dinghy parks that don't get sailed.

Perhaps a category that covers everything from N1 - N3415 as "classic" with Vintage / AC classified within?

Welcome other people's suggestions!
N12 - 3513, 3551, ex 3198, 3498

edwillett

Sounds an excellent idea David...I had been pondering the same. Sail off the age related handicaps to compete for overall prizes and have prizes within each age category too...has to be worth a go?