National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

N2966 Windy Lady

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 04 Jul 2007, 05:55

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2966 Windy Lady.  Design: Cheshire Cat, designed by: Michael Jackson in 1973

mack2

2966 is a 4 plank design, I am told by various people that she is to the Cheshire Cat design. The sails bear the original measurers signature dated 1977, however the boat was never officially measured!  
I acquired her in August 2006 and first sailed her at Rutland Water in October of that year. N2966 is now sailed at Middle Nene Sailing Club in Northamptonshire.
The attached photos are from that first outing at Rutland Water following refurbishment.

samlaw

N2743<br />

TimH (Guest)

This boat is back up for sale. It's now red but looks to be in generally good condition. I am interested in her but am a little confused as to what she actually is - I'm new to N12's but I am looking to get one to start sailing at Ripon Sailing Club with my 7 year old daughter. So looking for something that will be good with a light crew ( 95kg / 15st combined) and good in inland water, mind you last thing I sailed was an Enterprise 23 years again so no great hopes for winning races.

The previous posts state that it is probably a Cheshire Cat design but having looked at the pictures of them on this site I can not see what this statement is based on. Looking at the deck shape it slopes noticably outwards, not flat as shown for the Cheshire Cat. The transom profile has 2 clearly visible chimes wherase the pictures of the Cheshire Cat design has a more abrupt change of 1 clear chine (if that make sense to you).
It also has a built in rear bouncy tank - any comments on what this does to weight balance and also capsize recovery?
Thanks for your help. Tim

icecreamman

Looking back at the statement about the boat being a Cheshire Cat and then looking at the pictures I would say this is true. The number is in the right region of numbers that the Cats were built in, the fact that there are strakes that the planks are bonded to, the way the foredeck is built up (one of the signatures of Nick Cox's Cheshire Cats) along with the way the decks have been built. The stern tank would not make a real difference as to whether it is there or not. The plus side for a tank is that they do not tend to deflate in between sails. Many moons ago I sailed Candlelight originally owned by Robin Steavenson both with a rear tank and then without. It was removed in order to get at the planks close to the stern more easily that were suffering with a bit of damp.
Have a word with Bernard Clark at Ripon as he used to have a Cheshire Cat and will be able to tell you plenty about sailing them with small people as Ellie started her 12s career in his Cat.

Red Hot Pudding

I have a Cheshire Cat (2895) built by Impact Boats and apart from the fact that mine has buoyancy bags rather than a rear tank, the lines, internal layout and deck arrangements look pretty much identical. They're solidly built and great boats for Inland water and fairly forgiving for young crews.

Gavin3G

Hi,
I bought 2966 Windy Lady in April 2015.
she had a set of 1979 measured sails and original proctor mast and boom.
she was not really set up for racing..

Unfortunately had an accident with a bridge so she now sports a superspares mast and boom and some alverbanks from 1995 with a dangly pole.
she also has a new transom as that turned out to be mainly mush!!

Sailing at Chelmarsh at present, hope to do some of the 4 plank opens + Ripon/Yeadon and Yorkshire Ouse

will post pics when I have some.
Gavin 3G

n12 Bottom Banner