National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

N2812 Eric

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 08 Mar 2007, 08:59

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2812 Eric. Design: Paper Dart, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1972
Previous boat names: Cateran, Kermit the Frog, Sagitta.

John Meadowcroft

Full name was Eric Greyhound of the Sea.

I owned Eric from about 1996 until 2006 when I sold the boat to Rosie White (Burghfield SC) principally due to lack of use on our part.  Rosie immediately took Eric to the 4 plank meeting at Trent Valley last autumn and was in the chocolates.

We had some great times with Eric at Thames Area events, winning Opens at Twickenham and Desborough.  No longer a particularly pretty boat, but devastatingly quick in light winds.  The sail plan was updated from the original 2.4m jib on a needlespar mast to be a 2.2m jib set on a Superspar M1.  The sails had good pedigree too, being the Ullman suit from the original Feeling Foolish.

I bought Eric from Tim Harris at Up River who had acquired Eric from Paul Pelling.  No idea about the pre Pelling era!

DB_No_1

Eric has recently been subject to major surgery, he had a serious case of submarinitus.this involved one minor and one major operation.
The hatch on the bow tank was replaced with a modern RWO one (the original was hydrophilic!), also the bulkhead was reinforced in way of the hatch opening to reduce the local flexing. The join between the deck and side hulls was also completely stitched up (I hope).

The major work was a lobotomy on the aft end of the tanks. These were removed aft of the thwart and replaced by buoyancy bags. All foam was removed from the forward part of the tank and a buoyancy bag stuffed inside this tank.
Rosie, Pat and Eric took to the water on sunday at Burghfield. I was thinking of asking Rosie to test the buoyancy after the race, but didn't need to. The morning capsize was a success ERIC FLOATED (Meds - there were witnesses) however they were unable to drain the boat out.  on inspection ashore, it was found that the front hatch was only loosely in place. Just as well I had put a bow bag inside the tank as well. having sponged out the tank and tightened up the hatch, our intrepid trio set out again for the afternoon race. This time they sailed the boat dry (no alcohol) and finished the race. I am happy to get this patient signed off sick leave and back to work.
yours
General dogsbody and bottomless pit
ps not censored by Rosie
Nigel

n12 Bottom Banner