National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Cockpit Draining (or not!)

Started by emzcrusader, 30 Apr 2009, 09:37

« previous - next »

emzcrusader

Hi all, new boy again!  :)
The rear built-in bouyancy tanks have bungs that lead forward into the cockpit.  There is no drain for the cockpit other than the self bailers, which don't open on the trolley.  This just seems wrong as I have found the best way to wreck self bailers is leave them open ashore.  I want to be able to drain the boat when left bow-up in the boat park....
Should I drill the transom and drain via the bouyancy tank, so the cockpit drains through the tank, or is it better to install a tube so the water goes through the (hopefully) dry tank.  There must be many ingenious ways of tackling this and I'm looking for inspiration!  :-/
Cherers, Phil
N3379 - Bright yellow Crusader getting a little TLC!

Dare Barry (Guest)

When I was building boats with a stern tank I always put drain tubes through the tank, a little more work but worth it. Better to keep the tank dry.
Enjoy your boat building.
Dare Barry

johnk

If your rear tank has an inspection hatch 100 mm diameter or bigger, you may be able to fit a clear plastic tube over the part of the bung fitting that projects into the tank and do the same with the other end at the transom. This might save a lot of work.

jeremyf

I did that to my Mirror in 1978 and its still going strong ( and dry) - though a little out of class.
I bonded some plastic drain pipe from B&Q to the outer of a holts screw bung thing with plumbing adhesive then sunk the assembly into an oversize hole that was coated in resin.
I left the tube bits long enough to exit the transom where they exit through a slightly oversize hole that was rammed with silicone. After it was bone dry I trimmed the tube with a hacksaw and the silicone with a razor blade, overpainted and you could hardly tell. I just use rubber bungs in the transom.  I guess it can be done the other way around so the screw in bung is on the transom but I was concerned about having lying water against an 'unsealed' edge.
It keeps the cockpit dry and hence sound.

emzcrusader

Thanks all,  what a helpful and speedy response!
Tubes are now installed through the tank, from the existing drain holes into the cockpit.  The tank bungs are installed in the transom so it sould all drain when left in the boat park.  Drilling 22mm holes in the transom was a bit of a scary operation, but all went well.  the boat will have a new name when it is re-launched at Spinnaker, one day soon(ish).
WTS!
Phil
N3379  ???

n12 Bottom Banner