National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

jib sheeting.

Started by GregPitt, 30 Sep 2008, 09:30

« previous - next »

GregPitt

I know this is going against the grain a bit with everyone talking about making boat simple, but has anyone considered or is using a barberhaul system for sheeting their jib further inboard. I have just bought a N3473 and as a sailmaker I have drawn plans and taken a lot of measurments for designing sails. The sheeting angle on my boat is about 13 degrees. (pretty wide) compared to a fireball or merlin that can be sheeted in at 8 degrees. Any thougths?
Greg N3473

Tim Gatti

Greg - barber haul systems were very common on Twelves - not so much used of late - many go for a fixed track and slider with ratchet block but I'm sure you'll get a very varied response to this post.Tim

David_Wilkins

Barbers to widen the angle were common before dangly poles but there were few using them to reduce the sheeting angle. We put some on the top of the centreboard case on 3139 as the blocks seemed just bit too wide - this worked very well bu I couldn't tell you the angle.
Surface Tension had a completely floating jib sheet block - adjustable on pairs of tracks in both directions.
cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

n12 Bottom Banner