National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

National 12 Handicap

Started by John C, 24 Apr 2008, 09:13

« previous - next »

John C

Have just bought 'Billy the Hoover' (Baggy II - built 1988 and planning to race her in a handicap fleet. Couple of queries:
- The handicap for a new 12 is 1093 (close to a Laser 2000 at 1089) but should I have a slower handicap given the age of the boat ? Does the association have specific handicaps by age similar to the Merlins ?
- How do you think she'll fair in handicap racing vs Laser 2000, Laser standard, Larks and Solo's ? The venue is Chichest harbour (ie, tidal but more like inland rather than open sea.

Jeremy C

John,

this questionn was brought up not long ago by someone else who has just purchased an older twelve. If you look on the string titled "advice please about buying a N12" which is about 20 lines down the chat page your question should be answered!
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Antony (Guest)

John,
Congratulations on buying a lovely boat.
The NTOA do publish alternative handicaps, one of the advantages of membership.  These numbers are based on the PY of the N12 when these boats were new, and therefore the designs setting the handicap.  The RYA have agreed with our methodolgy, and the conversion of the numbers to the new four digit system, but do not formally endorse their use by clubs.  Since the PY system specifically permits alteration at club-level discretion this should not present a problem.
For Billy you should probably ask to sail on a PY of 1115.  If it helps you in negotiating with the club we can provide a more formal letter from the NTOA explaining the situation.
Your success on handicap will probably depend more on courses set and conditions than it will on the PY they let you use.  Tight reaches are obviously very good, and upwind a 12 is very competitive until boats are planing upwind, a broad spinnaker reach is an obvious issue!  In the fleet of boats you mention you should have some good racing.
Good luck, and have fun,
Antony (V-Chairman, NTOA)

John Murrell (Guest)

Last year I ran the Salcombe Twelve results as if it was a handicap class and it made some interesting reading!
They are published on our website at http://www.salcombeyc.org.uk/content/racing-results/national-twelve/ 

ken goddard

John, in reply to your query and to follow-up on Antony's reply, the full list of allowed handicaps for National Twelve club racing are found on Page 9 of the NTOA's annual Booklet.
Ken Goddard, N.2300 

John C

Many thanks for the advice - I am awaiting delivery of the NTOA handbook and will take the information to CYC race committee to seek the appropriate handicap for the age of the boat - early signs indicated they would be receptive though since a twelve did very well in the recent snowflake series they may be a little wary.
We'll see - the main thing is I have a lively rewarding boat to sail/race with my son - was out at the weekend for first time and I think we're going to have fun !!
Thanks all.

n12 Bottom Banner