National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Street legal

Started by DHD, 23 Mar 2008, 10:33

« previous - next »

DHD

Hi
I started my sailing career at school in a national 12 called street legal 3069, I'm not sure what happened to the boat but I would like to get my hands on another street legal. So if anyone knows where one is can you let me know condition isn't really important.
Many Thanks

grazz

Hi DHD,

There's rather a nice piccy of 3069 in the boat database part of the website http://www.national12.org/boats/index.php?action=view&value=3069 but no details of her past (yet)

You could try posting a wanted notice for a Street Legal on the site at http://www.national12.org/adverts/index.php?catid=5

What sort of sailing  are you planning? would another design of 12 suit you?

Graham

THG

There was a Street Legal 'sold' - I think almost given away a few months ago - not sure what number - I think Marcus ? was trying to fnd a quick home or take it to the dump :o :o :o

THG

Jimbo41

The handbook record shows that there was only one Street Legal built. The number is 3069. Perhaps Grazz can give you the details of "Marcus", the fella who was trying to get rid of it and maybe he can help you find whoever bought it. If it hasn't been sold it would be a great shame to send it to Valhalla :-/
Cheers!
Jim N3470 and N3130, laid up with a chunk out of my left calf muscle - Ouch!

JohnMurrell

Oh Jimbo - you need to go to an optician!
There are many more Street Legals floating about........................... I should know, I had one of them- but thats another story! Sadly not one of the best Twelves ever produced. From memory the story goes that the mould was built in a damp autumn in south London out of  B&Q's best light weight plywood and transported up to Parkers in the rain. Unsuprisingly it warped a bit! Parkers did their best to straighten it up but I know that mine was definatelty asymmetric when Mac and Chris measured it, not only that but the rise of floor was out on one side; need I go on?
The boat that Kean is refering to is / was 3116 and owned by Mark Samson, he was working at ICC in Salcombe during the summer of 2006. I am not sure if the boat is still alive but I will try to find out.
Yoda

ken goddard

N.3116 is now in the hands of Trent Valley S.C. and is being 'restored' as a club training boat. We decided to give the boat a new name, and in view of the fact that the hull is red, we chose "street cRED".
As regards the suggestion in earlier replies that the hull is slightly assymetric, I can confirm this. The previous owner had ripped out the split thwarts and in constructing a pair of new half-thwarts I have found that one is about 2cm longer than the other!
Ken Goddard 

DHD

3069 was the boat i sailed when at school. It was owned by the school for quite some years. An Ex-girlfreind who crewed for me bought it of the school that is the last I know of that particular boat.

Jimbo41

Quote from: 112Oh Jimbo - you need to go to an optician!
There are many more Street Legals floating about........................... I should know, I had one of them- but thats another story! Sadly not one of the best Twelves ever produced. From memory the story goes that the mould was built in a damp autumn in south London out of  B&Q's best light weight plywood and transported up to Parkers in the rain. Unsuprisingly it warped a bit! Parkers did their best to straighten it up but I know that mine was definatelty asymmetric when Mac and Chris measured it, not only that but the rise of floor was out on one side; need I go on?
The boat that Kean is refering to is / was 3116 and owned by Mark Samson, he was working at ICC in Salcombe during the summer of 2006. I am not sure if the boat is still alive but I will try to find out.
Yoda

On  revision, you're dead right there Yoda! My dad says it was probably the effects of the "local" I needed on stitching my calf yesterday. Took a chunk out whilst training on a cross-trainer. Result: looking at 2 weeks downtime but more time to do some boat repairs +/- annoying but neutral in a way ::)
Good luck on your quest DHD!
Cheers!
Jim.

STU W

Didnt 3069 belong to either Mr Sears or Peacock originally?
There was at least 2 symetrical Legals, a wooden one 3063 I think and probably the best made Legal of the lot 3071 ,street legal sailed very well by Wigmore and Curly in79 and still I believe sailed at Earlswood Lakes by Laurebce Carter who bought it in 79. This was a Parker Hull and was fast in 0 wind or loads of wind but not so good in marginal conditions. Nosedived well too
12's are for life not just for christmas.

n12 Bottom Banner