National 12
Sidebar

Large Plywood Sheets or Offcuts

Started by Peter Hellon, 03 Aug 2024, 12:43

« previous - next »

Peter Hellon

Hi All

I am in the process of restoring Four Square, the four planker in the history of the class that was built as a floating testbed for a new construction method.

I need to replace the top panel on the rear buoyancy chamber, which has slight double curvature so I need to purchase some 4mm (or possibly 5mm) plywood which is at least 135cm across the short side. Standard sheets are 244 X 122cm sadly.
Robbins Timber have sheets of 5mm ply 310 X 153cm in size but the cost is £175 including the VAT!!

Does anybody have any suitably ply they would be willing to sell me or have any suggestions of other timber merchants I could try?

Thanks

Pete

rolandw

Hi Pete,

You don't say where you are based. If in the South, you could try calling Matt at Wenban Smith in Worthing as they can supply some good quality ply - not as good as Robbins but much cheaper! Alternatively you could try Meyer Timber from whom we've purchased some OK furniture quality birch ply. I would just avoid normal builders merchants/DIY stores though. Even their best quality marine ply is atrocious, full of gaps etc.

If the compound curvature is too much then it might be an idea to get some 1.5mm birch ply and laminate 3 together with a little epoxy.