National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Self bailer replacement 2208

Started by moggseyb, 13 Mar 2012, 04:11

« previous - next »

moggseyb

Good afternoon all, next question regarding the rebuild of my vintage National 12. I only have one self bailer on the boat at present which is like a plunger on the other side the base bracket has been left in place but filled does anyone know where I might purchace a  replacement or am I allowed to replace with a new style? Not quite sure of how things would look esthetically however the bailers do look cumbersome and if knocked by accident might cause some damage to the boat.Once again many thanks in advance for any information.
  Regards Moggsey

icecreamman

The plunger type bailers are the older ones that have been overtaken by the silver colouted triangular shaped ones that drop down from the bottom of the boat. The older plunger type ones can come a cropper if you come ashore and forget to bring them back up which does not tend to happen as much with the newer Anderson type bailers as they will in the worst case been pushed back in towards the hull of the boat. There is nothing saying that you cannot replace one type with another type of bailer, but if you want to keep the boat in its traditional fashion the older type may be hard to get hold of. Ask any of the vintage sailers (Tim Gatti is a good start) if they have any leads.
Good luck with the boat.

Tim Gatti

The old plunge-type bailers are v difficult to get hold of - I'm not even sure if they are manufactured any more.
If you wish to replace with a more modern design there is nothing in the Class Rules to stop you and the new ones will be far more efficient. 
Elvstrom/Andersen are the most common and come in different sizes but they are not cheap. (Large size or Supermax if you can afford them.)

Suggest you try one of the online chandleries and compare prices - P&B, Sailboats.co.uk, Trident etc.  Just Google 'Andersen self-bailer'

Sometimes they come up on ebay but it's a bit of a risk buying them unseen as you won't find out if they are prone to leaking until you actually go sailing with them fitted in the boat!  Normally they should be completely watertight when shut.
Make sure you are sitting down when you check out the prices.
Tim

johnk

The Barton version of the tubular bailer had a plastic "plunger" which would break well before there was any damage to the rest of the boat. I do have one that was removed from a boat. I will try and post a picture when I find the bailer.

Jeremy C

I have a couple of 'anderson' bailers in my garage for sale, cut them out of my AC twelve project which I am turning to DB.

Contact me if interested

jeremy@designs42.net
07867 500307
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Tim Gatti

Jeremy C

Bailers on their way to you!
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

moggseyb

Fantastic! Thank you, sending the cheque off now . I must admit when Tim Gatti wrote better sit down when checking out the prices of new bailers he wasnt wrong I also had a glass of water to hand as well as a bottle of Doctor Mac allister's recovery medicine -just about recovered now
I can't get over the help,advice and encouragement I have had from everyone in the N12 association hopefully I can help someone else in time.

n12 Bottom Banner