National 12
Sidebar

keel removal help

Started by Giles (Guest), 15 Apr 2009, 01:35

« previous - next »

Giles (Guest)

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone can help.  I have a glass foam final chapter (waller).  Over the winter I decided it needed its keel removing.  I spoke to Nigel Waller and Mike Cooke they both said it was relatively straight forward - chop it off with a angle grinder, fair it, stick some carbon over the top, fair again, raise the centreboard pivot hieght, paint the hull and away you go!
I started this weekend, everything looks ok and with the keel off the aft section of the hull looks fantastic! BUT, the hull goes from double skin to single skin towards the bow (first 600mm or so).  The question is do I continue and hack off the keel (proper job) or do I give up and leave the front bit of keel on a fair it back into the dekeeled hull. 
If I go for the proper job the plan would be to - cut the keel off, find a bendy bit of plastic that can be put into the hull and pulled up against the inner skin to act as a former for a new internal skin 400g/m2 biax carbon, put a structural filler between the new inner skin and existing single skin to bring everything flush with the outside of the hull, stick a bit of foam on to allow the new dekeeled bit to be faired into the hull, carbon over the top of that, fair it all in and paint it - phew. 
Does anyone have any advice.
Thanks
Giles

Martin

Quote from: Giles (Guest)Hi there, 

Does anyone have any advice.
Thanks
Giles

Speak to the builder again..........