National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Salcombe Week 2008

Started by MikeDay, 30 Jul 2008, 03:21

« previous - next »

MikeDay

- starts on 10th August.  There are 13 confirmed entries as of today with one or two conspicuous names missing (Meds ...?).  That should take us close to the 15 or so that has been the norm during the last few years and, given all recent doom and gloom talk, is not at all bad (especially as there are only 8 RS200s so far entered).

I think John Murrell is taking entries up to the day before so it's still not too late to sign up for this fabulous week, which I for one am looking forward to a lot.

Mike D
N3496

JohnMurrell

Yup, still taking entries.............
The reduced entry discount is valid on all entries recieved by 6th August. Entry forms can be downloaded fronm the SYC website http://www.salcombeyc.org.uk/ and I am updating entry lists as I get them at http://www.salcombeyc.org.uk/content/racing-results/%5Eregatta-2008%5ENational_Twelve_Regatta_2008/

John m

in the post yesterday, second class, might make the 6th deadline...

John Murrell (Guest)

And now its 17 and counting........................

sam293

if anyone is looking for a crew let me know
im sure you know who i am if not iv posted many times before looking for helms

sam childs

hutch

Well that was windy enough for a first day.

Having only bought the boat three weeks ago [N3228]  we managed the first mark and a dosen capsizes shortly after that before retiring to millbay to watch the carnage from the land!  Roll on tomorrow!!

x

JohnMurrell

And the best story of the week that I have heard so far comes from Mad Dog ( what a suprise!) 
Half an hour before the start and no crew.
Ah! there's a likely lad, got a wetsuit? Good lets go then!
After a very quick rig and launch off Millbay pull rudder down, bear off to get some speed up and BANG! Oh dear (well actually something a bit ruder but you get the drift!) my rudder blade has exploded..............
'Quick get back to the beach and see if I can find that fixed blade, ah yes there it is. Come on lets go.
 Oh s*** the race has started, was it a Black Flag? don't think so. How late are we anyway? 10 mins? Oh well we will be starting with the Red Yawls then, that will be interesting........
Never had the boat go so well, beat all the Yawls home and got a third in the 12's. None too shabby then!

Dave Croft

Hi John,
How about a web-cam on the start-line at SYC?? That would be great for those of us stuck in the office!!
Dave

MikeDay

Well, that was an unusual Salcombe week.  As you'll have gathered, Sunday was as blowy as it can be while still sailable and much respect to all six boats that finished.  Will Henderson capsized his Yawl on the beat while leading the Red fleet so you get an idea of what it was like.  Monday was moderate and enjoyable.  Tuesday and Wednesday were both blown off and the size of the waves over the Bar at the height of the storm were apparently unprecendented in the summer.  Finally, on Thursday, we got back to easier stuff and had a good race in the sunshine in a force 2-3.  Friday was the best day of the week, force 3-4 and the race officer sent us way out to Starehole and then a run up to Gerston which must have been four miles, with a beat back against a strong tide ... 2.5 hours altogether and a terrific race.

The link to the results is in John's message above if you want to see who came where. Special mentions to John and Mandy who won the week and were definitely quickest all round, Meds and Katy who won windy Sunday and sailed the rest of the week while suffering from something viral, and Simon and Karen Ballantine who showed great seamanship in their Design 8 to finish on Sunday and did well on the other days too, to finish 4th.

The postscript to John's story above about Derek is that on the abandoned Tuesday, he still went out with Lydia Wood to show the assembled spectators that it was possible to sail.  However on Thursday, in about the lightest wind of the week, he let off both his shrouds on the run, dug the stem into a wave as a gust hit and was on the phone to P&B for a new mast within the hour.

SYC and especially John Murrell did a great job for us in somethimes difficult circumstances, so big thanks to them.

Mike D
N3496

n12 Bottom Banner