National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Rudder length

Started by mutt, 10 Jun 2008, 12:51

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Quote from: DavidG (Guest)I think that Bethwaite generally talks a load of tosh and rarely backs it up with any data or facts.

There's a statement without grounds if ever I saw one! It's entirely possible that what he presents doesn't go down well with the current 12 / overpriced for performance, price-protectionist mindset? A restricted class mentality has sadly returned to the 12 scene I fear. Re. rotating wing masts, fully battened sails, high aspect ratio daggerboard, etc. etc. etc.? A man who seeds thoughts and inspires his son (as well as others) to design 18 footers, the 49er, 29er and others shouldn't in my opinion be slated quite so harshly. Or am I just trawlering up the wrong estuary? People can be so harsh these days!
Currently, I'm getting more fun out of my Tasar, even if she is 25 years old than I ever have done out of my 12, even though I'd never give up trying to sail her to perfection.  
Jim.  

angus

Handbags at dawn me thinks;D
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jimbo41

Quote from: 250Handbags at dawn me thinks;D

No, but I'm screwing on my brass cannon to the bow..... Sour grapeshot at the ready:P
Jim N3470, 3130 and Tasar 1293

mutt

with regard to the objections regarding my fixed rudder choice I'd just say that I only need the rudder the the nationals. Thats the only time I sail at sea. I could I suppose make a rudder that fits the existing stock but I can't help thinking that the transom could be quite a bit lighter. As the rudder will only see sea use I'm hoping that the encounter with immovables will be relatively rare. More of a worry is an encounter with other docking boats.
I have actually tried to build a stock before and its a damned sight harder than building the rudder as it has to be significantly reinforced to take point loads. Do that on the rudder itself is trivial in comparison. Building the stock too seems disproportionate in terms of effort and materials for a rudder that won't see a lot of use. I guess the over-ridding reason for choosing a fixie is that I havn't got a lot of time. One thing less to break too.
Cheers
Matt

Jimbo41

I'd recommend a stock made out of anything other than carbon. Carbon - esp. tubular, hollow carbon - breaks too easily, as  I found out to my cost last season when I accidentally lent on it too hard whilst getiing in over the transom after a capsize. It's a veritable pain in the wallet to get repaired.
Cheers!
Jim.

Mikey C

Jimbo, I'd suggest that if I leaned on your wing mirror hard enough it would probably also break - thats not what it is designed for.

Mutt. I ran a fixed rudder for years, very few problems with it and it teaches you some good handling skills in launching and recovering. I even parked my boat on it once at good pace and nothing happened.
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

n12 Bottom Banner