National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Not enough Twist. Split main setup.

Started by Jimbo41, 24 Apr 2008, 11:34

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Hi Folks!
I've got to get more twist going upwind. Tom's sent me a split mainsheet. That's good, but I need help about getting the split angle and length right. Do you need to generate any tension in the leach when the main is closehauled to the centreline or should you rely entirely on the kicker when you need tension? The other question is what's the best way to secure the split ends to quarter inch ply?
Any answers gratefully received!!!
Cheers!
Jim. N3470

Antony (Guest)

Jim,
The simple answers are as follows:
The mainsheet is only really applying the leach tension in very light winds, when the boom is right on the centreline.  Once it is windier then think of the kicker as controlling the leech and use the mainsheet to sail the boat flat.
Fix the two ends to the transom with boring stainless hoops of some sort, and put them in a place that is bascially as far from the centreline as possible before the transom rises significantly.  I cannot recall exactly what your new boat has in the way of transom (if anything) but suspect that there is a fairly obvoius point where a flat floor level part rises sharply upwards and this corner is roughly where you are aiming for.
Antony

Jimbo41

Thanks for the information Antony!!!!  You were correct in assuming that I have no transom. However, with my daughter Emma as a light crewmember, we don't have any problems with water ingress.
Great - looking forward to thrashing those pesky 420s and Lasers at the weekend!
Cheers!
Jim.

n12 Bottom Banner