National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Carbon mast wanted

Started by Phil Brown, 13 Mar 2008, 11:58

« previous - next »

Phil Brown

Casualty of this week's gales, Fantastic Mr Fox (D8) fell over in the boat park (despite being tied down) and has a bent mast.  It's creased at deck level so I don't think it will straighten satisfactorily.  :'(
Any thoughts on type of carbon mast for a crew at the heavier end of the weight spectrum, Superspar perhaps?
Anyone with one in their garage?

Phil
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

John Meadowcroft

Phil
Sorry to hear about your damage.
Call Terry Cooke.  number is in the book.  I think that he is making himself a new one but may want to put his existing Superspar on his new boat in the short term.  Worth a call.
Not many people have spare masts as reliability has been good recently.  I assume that Superspar and Selden are the easiest ones to source quickly.
Mast choices are broadly
Superspar - probably the most popular.  This is the P&B standard equipment.
Angell - Graham Camm (light) uses and so do we (heavy)
Selden - Steve Norbury is developing this rig.  Did not appear to be too shabby last summer.
Aardspar - Terry Cooke is building these.  Dare Barry has one and there is also one on his old boat.
Chipstow - the standard in the MErlin Class, but quite pricey.
In the Merlins I beleive that there are also some imported CST (australian) and CTech (NZ) rigs. I had a CTech on my last OK.  Although it did not come as specified, it seemed to be well built and go OK. Sadly their customer service was poor.  Not much you can do about that when you are on the other side of the World. 
FOr the record I am having a Superspar on my new boat.  I believe that it is fast standard equipment and will eliminate some variables in getting the boat up to speed.
John

Phil Brown

Thanks John, a very helpful run down.
Rather confirmed my thoughts and I like the elimination of variables, I'll call Terry.

Phil
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

n12 Bottom Banner