National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

4 planked series??

Started by Chadders, 14 Feb 2008, 10:33

« previous - next »

Chadders

[face=Calibri]Do you own a 4 planked National 12?  Would you be interested in an open meeting series?[/face]
[face=Calibri]It has been suggested that we could run a series for 4 planked 12’s possibly alongside some of the vintage series events.  Currently three vintage events also have 4 planked racing in the fixture list and these are Derwent at the end of August, Trent Valley in September and South Cerney also in September.  [/face]
[face=Calibri]If you would support a series I would be interested to hear from you with a view to perhaps adding some more events in and doing a trial series this year for a suitable trophy.  Please add to this discussion if you would support a series or email me direct on [/face][face=Calibri]hchadwick2@talktalk.net[/face]
[face=Calibri]Howard Chadwick Vintage Wing Representative[/face]
[face=Calibri]N2, N2266 and N3356[/face]

Roly Mo

It's a good idea, but as I can only sail one boat at a time I would struggle to commit to do a series if it is all aligned to vintage events (am already facing problems trying to qualify for the Bailer as I'm almost certainly unable to do the Derwent handicap event).  Why not put the Ryton races on as 4 plank events?  We get few vintage boats competing for those races and I'm sure Robin would approve!
See you on Sunday (in my 4 planker . . . .)
RM

Chadders

Good point another thing that would need to be ironed out is how to define a 4 planker!  Final Chapters can be 4 plankers but the original idea was to create competition for the older 12's, not sure Final Chapters fit that description?  Double bottomed ones definately dont in my view (especially purple and green ones)

Roly Mo

Should have said, if anyone wants to buy a 4 plank boat Magnificat is available! She's a fast boat and great fun.:)   Need the space for Miss Clark's craft . . .
Chadders - as a Veneer Merchant (and timber anorak) 'plank' suggests wood.  Havn't found so much as a shred of it in Roly.  Keep thinking it would be fun to put one of my 'real wood is wonderful' stickers on the sails!RM

John Meadowcroft

There are a good number of wood chapters out there though, and they definitely have 4 planks.  If you want o exclude how do you?

angus

You could start by banning anything remotely rat like;D
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Tim L (Guest)

Eh Angus????
What about Paper Darts - not a lot of wood there....

martin 1262

Might be easier to say what is not included, eg clinkers(?) and any more recent designs. What's left must be the planked or pseudo (GRP) planked.....  Would you include 3 plankers?? I used to own one of them!

THG

Should the breaks for the series like vintage, 4 plank, AC use the breaks as defined by the PY suggested handicaps?  That way all boats deemed to have the 'same' handicap could race together.
There may be the odd bandit in amongst them but would seem a logical way to link both together...
THG

Jimbo41

I fear we've been here before....:-/
Jim N3470 (Also wood Rat - sorry Chapter - derivative)

Antony (Guest)

Off thread i know, but i think that you might find more wood in Roly Mo than you would expect!!...  I would, for a start, be very surprised if the thwart is not built of plywood as it is such a good material to screw fittings onto and there is not much harm building weight into the boat there. 
That said i am pretty sure that none of the hull 'planks' are wooden!
Antony

paul turner

We have a very simple rule for the annual Trent Valley vintage & 4 plank event:

4 plank = four plank construction up to boat 3140 inclusive, no smooth hull or DB boats permitted.

Roly Mo

Will check the boat for signs of wood, but also for woodworm (it's been dangerously close to Angus's boat!!)!
RM

angus

It warnt me thaty said out about wood I was more concerned about rats or more to the point rats disguised as moles, wood or not. But shhhhhh don't tell ellie she doesn't know that roly mo is infact roland rar in dis guise. Morer sereiously shoud dekeeled boats be allowed in the four plankers wood or other wise, might sort out a few bandits.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Chadders

OK back to the serious stuff for a mo!
I like Paul Turners nice simple 4 planked rule as above. 
My main concern is that the original suggestion and support came from 2 well respected vintage sailors (sailors of vintage boats). 
So far I have only had one comment from someone with a 4 planker as to whether they would support a series if  we had one and that came by phone rather than this forum.
My question remains would 4 plank boat owners support a series if we ran one?
Howard C aka Chadders
N2, (ribbed vintage) N2266(vintage) and N3356 Admirals Cupper) (no 4 planker at the moment)::)

n12 Bottom Banner