National 12
Sidebar

calling all crews: have their say

Started by Sophie (Guest), 07 Nov 2007, 07:59

« previous - next »

Sophie (Guest)

I'm putting together an article on helming and would really like some feedback from crews on the best things about your helm from a technique point of view.

I obviously have my own ideas about what makes a good helm, but I'd really like some input from everyone else - from whether they try and keep your feet dry when launching, to explaining/justifying why you're going a certain away up the beat, praising the good and keeping the boat flat...

this is our chance to tell our helms what they can do to make our lives as crews easier!

please send all thoughts to sophiemackley(at)hotmail.com - the best ones will be published

many thanks

Sophie

sophie (Guest)

before someone says anything - apologies for poor english (just what you want from your newsletter editor!) .... crews: have 'your' say

cheers

sophie

sophie (Guest)

Thanks to those that have emailed me, but its looking like being  a very short article. More input appreciated - and feel free to email sugestions for future articles.

Cheers

Sophie

Crew (Guest)

Just a few thoughts:
- What happens on the boat, stays on the boat ie; arguments, shouting etc.
- Decide from the start who's job it is to do what, and stick to it.
- A good sense of humor is a must.
- If you sail your 12 single handed occasionally make sure you don't forget how to sail with a crew!
- Whilst we know you have the final say, listen to the crew, they might have a point!
- Forgive us when we arrive at events with the hangover from hell and occasionally display signs of the side affects!
- For those with boats that lack a carbon rig remember when flicking the top batten or tacking without indication etc, an aluminum boom against your crews head is extremely painful!!
- Make sure you're enjoying yourself!