National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

need help!!!!

Started by guy sommerville (Guest), 20 Mar 2006, 08:53

« previous - next »

guy sommerville (Guest)

Hi I have recently bought an old national 12 built to the Aftermath 2 design. went for the first sail at the weekend and I am now in love with her the only problem I had was when we capsized she filled up with water and would not move the bags were holding her up but she was so low that we had a real struggle to get her sailing again. Any ideas on what we could do to get less water in or do you think we need more buoyancy???? Would be so great full for any help on this?
thanks again. guy sommerville

DavidW

Hello Guy.

Glad you got out at the weekend. I thiink you had a couple of 36x12 bags in the back of your boat which are usually enough. You could add a small (which I think are 36x6 ) bag low down on each side without loosing too much space.
You need a reasonable legnth of windy reaching for transom flaps to really work - those at Spinnaker on Sunday were a bit too gusty and short to help you much - a good bailer is sometimes the only answer. If you fancy a go at some wood-work you could put in a solid stern tank to replace the bags and displace some of the water.

See you again soon.

Cheers

David
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

guy Sommerville (Guest)

Hi David,

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciate.  We're going to pop down tomorrow to have a look.  Hope to see you down the club soon.

Cheers

Guy.

Paul Turner N2487/3500 (Guest)

Sorry to be a bit of an "anorak" but I thought that I had the only Aftermath2, built for me by David Matthews back in the 1970s, which Ken Goddard brought back to TVSC a year or so ago as a scrapper, and, after stripping all the fittings off her, put her on the club bonfire! There were tears - but she was well past renovation! She was N2808 "Wild Oats" - would be interested to know the number of this one. Seems that David Matthews more than two?

John Murrell (Guest)

Paul,

I remember Wild Oats only too well! She had her first rebuild in my garage in Northampton 23 or so years ago so lasted longer than expected! And as for those comfortable solid wood round decks; did Ken keep any of that to recycle?

If memory serves me well the other Aftermath 2 was 2868 that Geof Camm had a few years ago on the Thames Area circuit.

John

Giles_Edmondes-Preedy

Didn't N2868 re-incarnate as "Lime Green & Tangerine" with paint job to match? - I think it was described as an Aftermath 2

What was Aftermath 1?

Giles
N3319

Paul Turner N2487/3500 (Guest)

Aftermath 1 was the orginal boat built and designed by David Mathews in his garage in darkest Ockbrook. And there was nothing left of N2808 after the fire, only fittings. I sold her to a chappie at Up River, so John Murrell, when did you acquire her? And was she still that horrific yellow colour?

John Murrell (Guest)

Paul,

Yes I did buy Wild Oats from Up River, can't remember the name of the guy in 1977. He had painted her dark blue by then, I changed it to maroon fairly soon after buying her. I sold her on to asomeone at either TVSC or Nottingham when I bought 3158 from Alan Bax in 1983

2868 looked exactly like 2808, I was somewhat taken aback when Geof turned up with 'LG&T'! so much so that I thought that someone had been playing around with the sail no carving on the thwart!

John

Richard Colley

2868 was built by David Matthews in Ocbrook modifying his 4 plack Aftermath design with a curved transom. Also has a centerboard top from a single piece of wood formed by steaming over a garden roller.  I fitted her out from the bare hull. She was originally called Game Dame. She was quick in light airs and windy conditions, but the centreboard was allways a bit small.  Sold her to buy a Pipedream 3020 Mr Colleywobbles.

DavidW

Hi Richard  - good to see you looking at this board  - are we to see you sailing Twelves again soon????

Cheers
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Giles_Edmondes-Preedy

LG&T was recently sold again via e-bay, I believe?

n12 Bottom Banner