National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Boat Covers for Wooden treasures

Started by ChrisBerkley, 13 Nov 2006, 09:36

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Chris,

My experience this year has been quite positive - they even had a template to make one up for my Tigress!!!

I chose a Boom up cover and have not looked back. Choose  polycotton, 'cos it's more durable and you get less "sweating".

Cheers!

Jim N3130 and 3470 (soon to be mine  ;D)

James Taylor

Hi Chris

You could also try www.waveloft.com in cornwall very good have made some covers for vintage Merlins and an under cover for one of my N12's price resonable and he would talk to you about what you want. He has also made covers for Tailisman N12.

James
N3304 and N3402

Dave Croft

Chris,

A breathable cover is an absolute must for a wooden boat. They aren't cheap but worth the cost in what you save doing maintenance. The P&B ones are the best quality, I had one on my all-wood Merlin until I sold her earlier this year. If you can't run to one of these you may find a local sailmaker who could make one in good oldfashioned canvas but I doubt if will be a lot less and it may not last as long.

Dave C

janeysailor12

Personally I always store my woodern "treasure" under cover in the winter.  I'm obsessed with black horrible wood on my gorgeous white sycamore gunnells.  
Janey

david w (Guest)

Two words of caution

1 - be careful about towing any distances at speed with the cover on - the back end can flap and will disintegrate against the mast.

2 - I once thought I'd save pennies and not replace my Lakeland Plastic cover on 3139 - The deck gradually but significantly bleached in the sunlight - not to be recommended. Tis was inspite of the two pack varnish.

Cheers

MikeDay

Definitely the canvas rather than PVC type.  I'm not sure you want a boom up one - you can't use these for towing.  If you get a flat one, you can still put a supporting piece of wood (or the boom) under it from the foredeck to the transom.  Prop the bow up and the rain will shed fine.  P&B's covers are excellent and when tightened up really fit perfectly.

Mike D
N3496

Lukepiewalker

I've always towed with boom up covers with no problem. Don't quite fit as well as boom down ones , but well enough...

ChrisBerkley

Thanks guys and girls.

The info is confirming my thoughts. I'm going to stick with a boom up to keep the cover off the decks.  

I try to keep all my boats in my shed when not in use, but when there is work to be done I can't get in there with the sander - so there are occasikons when they have to stand out for a day or two.

Just need to go with the recommendations for supplier...

chris

Tom Stewart (Guest)

Chris,
The P&B cover material is guarranteed for five years. Definitely go with the polycotten and overboom for a precious varnished boat.

Tom Stewart

n12 Bottom Banner