National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

PipeDream

Started by Glodark, 02 Nov 2006, 08:48

« previous - next »

Glodark

I am looking into buying my first national 12.

I love the idea of a pipedream. Inland water sailing and high pointing ability realy does it for me.

Please can you tell me about the do s and donts of the 12 and wether or not i should buy a pipedream.

Kim

DavidW

A Pipedream is an ideal choice for a river.

When choosing look for one with a set of sails in reasonable condition as new ones aren't cheap. there always seems to be quite a high demand for decent 2nd hand suits which get snapped up quickly.

As for the rest of he boat - much like any other - check that the mast is straight, the foils are in reasonable condition, the fittings work, the woodwork is sound etc...

you'll find all sorts o useful tips on sailing 12's elsewhere on this website and you'll always find plenty of us happy to talk to you about any aspect of 12 sailing.

Happy hunting!

cheers
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Glodark

Thank you,

I currently sail a gp14 having just sold my brand new laser1.

The 12 looks to be a very active boat with good power. I also understand that depowering isnt such a hard task either. Especialy if you have a nice carbon mast.

What you say about the sails is true, I dont worry about things like that. A new set is just a new set. I dont have much money, but when I want somthing I just save for it.

I think i have read nearly every inch of the class site, I have even read about the build your own section. Unfortunatly I dont have the time or the space to build one. Maybe in the future.[face=Times][/face]

Many thanks, Kim

icecreamman

If you do plunge into buying a Pipedream and do not have the readies to buy a carbon mast, if you look around I am sure that you will be able to find a Needlespar which would be a good cheap alternative. As David has already said getting hold of second hand sails is like finding Rocking Horse Poo, but if you ask around there always seems to be someone who knows someone who has a spare suit of sails they may well sell to you.

Keep hunting
 :) :)

hairy dog

a noodlespar might be flexible but they are still pretty heavy, hard to find too.

How times have changed though; a couple of years ago I couldn't find a buyer for my Pipedream (with noodlespar) and have to give it away free with to the purchaser of a combi-trailer
get a Mungral up ya! :o

n12 Bottom Banner