National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

RB12 Mk2

Started by dborrett, 28 Oct 2006, 09:00

« previous - next »

dborrett

Hi, I'm looking to buy a cheap 12 so I can teach my son to sail. Am currently watching an old RB12 Mk2 design boat. Has anyone any info on this design?
Dave

philipcosson

There are the following RB12 design boats in the yearbook:

1977 N2965 the green pig T.A. Rawlinson (mk 1)
1978 N3037 verte subito T.A. Rawlinson (mk 2)
1980 N3103 smeagol T.A. Rawlinson (mk 3)
1980 N3105 the futures orange T.A. Rawlinson (mk 3)
1980 N3119 oink T.A. Rawlinson (mk 3)

It's a 4 plank design capable of being sailed in "vintage" events. If this is "verte subito", it seems to have been sailed at trent valley this year under a different number (N3150) I don't understand how...

Price will depend very much on it's condition and that of the trailer, covers, sails, etc...

Philip
N3253
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

martin 1262

Hi

I am the owner of the National 12 on ebay.

The sail number is 3150, which is a sail that come with the boat. I also have the original sail which is correctly numbered 3037.

I guess a preious owner bought a second hand set of sails to use with the boat.

When I renovated the boat this month, I found itself original name on the transom was Super Pig.

Some subsequent owner felt must have felt needed changing!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D

Cheers

Martin

philipcosson

That looks a lovely job of renovation. Well done!

What paint did you use internally?

Philip
N3253
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

martin 1262

Thanks Phillip....a labour of love!!

The Internal paintwork was in pretty good condition when I got it, so I have merely rubbed down and recoated the white in Blakes Yacht enamel, and the Grey floor just touched up with International non slip deck paint (Interdeck).

I hope it goes to a good home, and the boat will get the use it deserves.  I bought it as an introduction to the class for my son, and he has loved sailing it, time has come to step up to something a little newer, hence recent purchase of a Cruader 88.

Yes did sail at Trent valley,in a vintage/ 4 plank meeting... the final placings were probably due to my failing as a helm more than anything else!!!!

;D ;D ;D

Martin

STU W

Super Pig was 3037, won the tubs trophy in 1979 with the designer helming
Stuart
12's are for life not just for christmas.

martin 1262

Stuart,

Thanks for the Info, I was completely unaware that the boat has had some success at BW from years gone by.... :o :o

How did you know? Did you know of the designer? Or the boat?

icecreamman

Old Year Books are a great source of knowledge, which for anyone who is not a member of the NTOA ought to take note of. For all the others I am sure you are well aware of this. I remember some of these boats from time gone by, and if memory serves me well, they came from the Barrow area. I suspect they were used to team race the submarines known to populate that area.
 :X :X

n12 Bottom Banner