National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

DIY Carbon

Started by sam_N12, 01 Feb 2006, 05:58

« previous - next »

sam_N12

Hi,

I was just wondering how easy it is to get hold of sheets of carbon to make some foils for my N12?

How is the carbon laid up on foam, is it like ye olde fibre glassing?

Does anyone know a good place to buy carbon sheets/tapes from online?

Thanks very much

sam

Matt (Guest)

Most of us get our carbon fibre from marineware in southampton. 02380 339667. you probably want 1 or 2 sq meters of 200gm twill carbon. not the budget stuff as its difficult to lay up without a vacuum.

The cherub site www.sailingsource.com/cherub has a very good page on making foils. Personnally I make the core out of western red cedar which is very light and easy ot shape with a plane. I put a screw in both ends and hang the core from them - leading edge upward. The carbon can be draped over the wetted out foil and pasted down with a brush. For best results find a vacuum pump and then you can squash the carbon onto the core within a plastic bag.

If you haven't got a vacuum pump then just thiicken the epoxy with glass balloons to make it more viscous.

All in all though its pretty easy.

Matt
N3486

Mikey C

carbon is pricey at the mo, if you are going to play with cedar as a core, you can get away with some glass fibre instead as it is loads cheaper.... Especially if there is a minimum order qty...

If you need any more advice, keep asking!

Cheers

Mike

Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

Matt (Guest)

sam_N12

Thanks very much guys,

I think I'm going to build myself a centreboard in the next couple of weeks.
Everythings been really helpful, Thanks! ;D

Sam
tigress 3128

n12 Bottom Banner