National 12 - find out more...

Hull Shape for a big Chap!

Started by DuncanAdams, 05 Jun 2019, 08:29

« previous - next »

DuncanAdams

Since my Daughter and I have got back in our 12 I've been doing a lot of 12 geeking out! ;) :D

I think the boat is great and can see why a lot of people fall in love with the boat and class. but with so many hull designs has anyone had any success being a larger helm? If so what Hull Design is best/Recommended

When I say larger helm, My scales comes to rest at  :o :o 18stone.  ::) ::) ::) all up crew weight is around 22stone ish.

We are currently playing in a Design 8

DJC_654

I would say that the Final Chapter hull shape in its various guises has always been one of the better weight carriers, but perhaps also the Paradigm is ok (though not that commonly sailed at the moment?)   certainly a lot more freeboard if you are also tall.  I've also recently returned to the class this year , we went for a Feeling Foolish design mainly because the boat we bought was too good an opportunity to pass up at the time, and it still seems to be a good all rounder.  Will also be sailing at the heavier end of the scale to start with (23 stone probably) until my son is old enough to start giving crewing a proper go.  So will be interesting to see how it goes.

Dan   3430

DuncanAdams

Thank you for your comment Dan

From what I have seen these two names are also popping up as a shortlist boat. will have to keep an eye out.  :o :o

John m

Hi
I weigh in at 100kg.
I would go for chapter, paradigm 2 or a hijack.  I have had all three.
You will need a 5/6 stone crew and in reality it will be difficult to be competitive against a 17 stone team.
But every dog has its day!
John

DuncanAdams

Haha woof woof
Thanks John.
Going to stick with the design 8 for this year. Re group for next.
Thank you again.

keanoo

Hi - have a Paradigm N3533 but not getting enough on water due to crew issues.  Am thinking about selling to get a single hander.Ping me sometime if you think about updating to this - am based at the Cotswold Water park - near Cirencester.

n12 Bottom Banner