National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

N2996 Rumour

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 12 Feb 2007, 04:11

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2996 Rumour. Design: Wind-Fall, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1975

jammy dodger

I bought Rumour from Andrew Hurst (publisher of Seahorse magazine) in late 2001 and sailed her at Spinnaker. I know she was previously owned by Jon Whitehead. When I owned her she was in excellent condition. Before selling her, I stripped and revarnished the deck and painted the hull. I sold her in 2002 to a nice chap who took her to a club up near Bristol.

Jimmy Whitehead

I had the pleasure of crewing in this boat with my father.... We won several midland areas and i am keen to find out its location

Martin (Guest)

Now on eBay needs some tlc

moorfield

N2996 was one of three boats ordered from Joe Radgick by members of Redesmere SC. Dave Peacock had the first one (Landslide) and subsequently modified it with a dagger board by Nigel Waller, I had the second boat 2994 ( The Faker) and Julian Brown had the last boat  2996, (Rumour). The windfall was low wetted area and very fast in light winds thsits united to inland waters.
I tried to locate 2994 when I came back into the class but 2996 came up for sale in the local area so I bought her. Still in original condition, instead of pimping the boat up to current standards, I decided to keep it really simple in order to train Jimmy in the basics. This worked very well for inland light windassailing and we were very successful in this boat winning over 20 open meetings and I think 4 or 5 Midland area titles.
The windfall would still hold its own inland today given light winds, a new rig and a crew weight < 19 stone.

edwillett

Here are the pics and description from the above-mentioned ebay ad.
"Here we have what was, and to some extent still is, a beautifully constructed national 12 sailing dinghy. The maker's plate says Radgick of Exmouth. I can't find the hull no. The year is a guess.It was last used in Bristol harbour basin until the owner couldn't pay the parking fees and dumped it in my yard. Unfortunately the deck has gone (cover blew off), also it's minus the steering gear and headsail, (stolen from Bristol Basin dinghy park, apparently) The Proctor spars are in good shape and there is one kevlar/mylar main with battens - two or three small holes - otherwise it looks ok. All the fittings/hardware are present and of good quality inc two buoyancy bags. Weather damage looks to be limited to the deck - although the upper edge of the top chine may need minor surgery in one or two places. I have patched up old ply dinghies in worse shape in the past but I've no time now and I just want rid. This auction is for the boat only - the trailer by arrangement with the auction winner, if required."

edwillett

edwillett

n12 Bottom Banner