National 12 - find out more...

N3245 Otterzell

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 27 Mar 2007, 07:57

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3245 Otterzell. Design: Crusader, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1981

klas

I bought Otterzell about 4 years ago and keep her at Helensburgh Sailing Club. She had a makeover last year and is looking in good nick for her age.

Chadders

Just a bit of background:-   Otterzell was built by Donald Acklam for Howard Chadwick with Donald providing all the skill and expertise whilst I did the labouring including much stapling and removing of staples etc.  The name came from my fathers boat an Uffa King number N427 which sadly ended up on the Yeadon Sailing Club bonfire circa 1971.  She sailed at Yeadon and on the Northern circuit even managing a Burton in 1990, I sold her to Pete Slingsby, I think in or around 2000 whem I bought my Design 8 Squidgy Bits.  Pete also sailed her at Yeadon for several years before she headed off to Ken in Scotland.  She was built on the same mould as John Cheetham's Rebel N3209 and all the Crusaders built by Guy Winder and by Donald for himself, I think the mould was originally made by John Cheetham for his own boat. 

Otterzell has now moved and will be sailing at Castle Semple Sailing Club from 2013. She's still in great condition due to her excellent build and carefull owners over the years. some minor varnish work required other than that good to go.

Sailing at Castle Semple Loch. 21/7/13

Castle Semple Loch 21/7/13

Snomad

Purchased by Gavin & Emma Print, from Crawford Johnstone at Castle Temple SC, July 2016. On our drive back down the country we enjoyed a couple of days sailing at Carsington Water. She now resides at Bowmoor SC in the summer, and a nice warm garage in Devizes during the colder months.
Gavin

Snomad

Over the last few years we have attended to the starboard gunwale damage that was present when we bought her. She's had fresh varnish, lines, and toestraps. I have also built a new 'all in one' acrylic transom flap held in place with the rudder hardware.

She has very pretty lines, and is now catching the eye of sailors on the Blackwater estuary, since we moved to NE Essex from Wiltshire.
Gavin

Chadders

Had great fun helping Donald Acklam to build her and may happy hours sailing her when new at Yeadon.

n12 Bottom Banner