National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

N382 Alarm

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 15 Mar 2007, 10:18

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N382 Alarm. Design: Uffa King, designed by: Uffa Fox in 1936

Tim Gatti

Up for sale as a restoration project on ebay 18 Dec 2007 (no bids by 22nd) with following text from the current owner:
"The history of the ALARM is fascinating, apparently once owned by a peer of the realm, I was once contacted by someone who asked if it was 'THE ALARM' !! which was written about in WW2 ?? I have never been able to trace anything on the boat but did once speak to a former owner that carried out some minor restoration work to the decks back in the 50's. He was so pleased with his work that he had a solid gold nail crafted at a local jewellers shop and hammered it in the foredeck - where it remains to this day.  I haven't sailed the boat for over 8 years and have spent this time 'always' planning to rub it down and varnish it etc to give it that 'classic' N12 look it so much deserves.

I think its time to pass it to someone else now to cherish and give it the TLC it demands.  Although semi stripped and dismantled , all of the rigging , fixtures and fitting are all complete , 2 sets of sails , 2 wooden masts , and a galvanised road trailer."

Pictures show it is in need of a lot of work

spa3rks

I owned alarm in the early 60s. I bought her from a carpenter who had restored her & given her the gold nail. took some doing in a time when holding gold bullion was more or less illegal. She was beautiful in those days with varnished hull & decking and a white interior. The mast was wooen & hand built. Alarm sailed very well in light airs, but the uffa king design was not made for planing in heavy winds. The ride was hairy to say the least. I hope someone bought here in 2007 & gave her the tlc she deserved

n12 Bottom Banner