National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

There's ahole in my boat dear liza !

Started by moggseyb, 15 May 2012, 06:27

« previous - next »

moggseyb

jusst poked and prodded and found some more rot at the stern of the boat along the 'hog' I think thats what its called Ive cut it out and got a piece of ? Mahogany to put back in which I plan to do with Epoxy resin.My question is is all epoxy resin of the same standard Ive managed to source a local supplier who sells brand SP whichis a fair bit cheeper than West System which I would need to pay postage on top does anyone have any suggestions please. Many thanks Chris. (N 2208)

Tim Gatti

SP resin is ok and one of the standard brands. West has such a big presence in the UK that you might be mistaken for thinking that it's the only epoxy system around.

Just make sure whatever epoxy you choose that you mix in the correct proportions - and mix well.  Most failures that occur when using these resins are due either to getting the proportions wrong and/or not mixing it thoroughly enough. Also, adding more hardener will NOT make it go off faster and will result in a poor bond.

You'll need to add some microfibres to the mix to aid bonding, colloidal silica to thicken and/or if you've any wood-dust left from your sanding add that to the mix to thicken it and to get it close to the colour of the wood you are repairing.
Use masking tape to mask-off the area to control the unwanted spread of epoxy beyond the repair zone

Warm the wood with a hair dryer to promote resin penetration. Coat the surfaces to be joined with unthickened epoxy before applying the thickened mixture and clamping or screwing the timber surfaces together.  Don't overclamp or you will run the risk of forcing all the epoxy from the joint and starving it of glue. Ensure the correct temperature is maintained throughout the cure period.

Remember to clean up any excess epoxy and remove any masking tape before the epoxy is fully cured or you may find it permanently fastened to the hull.
If you are screwing the repair together and want to remove the screws after the epoxy is cured, remember to put some candewax on the screw threads or you'll never get them out again.
Hope the repair goes well
Tim

n12 Bottom Banner