National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Sails wanted...And hello

Started by Russyh (Guest), 08 Jun 2009, 06:45

« previous - next »

Russyh (Guest)

Hi Guys and gals, I have recently bought an old Baggy to sail and race with my daughter.  Everything is great but the sails are well pas their best, in fact they are shot.  Does anybody know of a 2nd hand suit of sails?  My boat is hog stepped and has a proctor mast(alloy)  Anything considered, just e-mail me with what you have got.  Russell_hopkins@hotmail.com many thanks. 

John Meadowcroft

congratulations on your purchase.  what is the sail number?
i would put an ad on the wanted list as this will drop down the radar.
mylar sails tend to shrink and lose fullness.  I reckon that a used suit originally built for a carbon rig should work ok.  Carbon masts tend to be bent more and you should be able to allow the metal rig to bend enough to make them work upwind.
good luck

Antony (Guest)

Russell,
You have bought a lovely boat, look after her!
As John says the consensus is to not worry too much if the sails were originally made for a carbon spar.  This subject is covered in a recent thread here:
http://www.national12.org/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.cgi?m-1241787849/
Finding a suit is the hard part!  You should at least have pretty standard rig lengths and ratios on the boat so most sails that people have will fit.
Good luck,
Antony

Roly Mo

Where do you sail?  We can probably point you in the direction of a local 12 sailor for advice etc.

RM

Russyh

Thanks for the welcome guys, Luckily it would seem i have sourced some used sails, i have just got to find a way to collect them from up north!  I am based at Tewkesbury SC in gloucestershire.  The boat needs some work!  I have today finished taking all the old fittings off (carefully photographing the current arrangement)  Next ask is to strip the decks and carry out some fairly minor repairs to the cockpit floor.  Luckily enough the previous owner had the outside of the Hull professionally resprayed in 2 pot last year, so that part of the boat is looking pretty sharp!  I will post some photos of her once she is completed.  I plan to sail her with my wife or young daughter.  Unfortunately i doubt i will do to many open events as i am committed to these with another class.

n12 Bottom Banner