National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Gill Series 2009

Started by Charlotte Stewart, 23 Mar 2009, 08:59

« previous - next »

Charlotte Stewart

The start of the 2009 Gill series is nearly here! The Gill series sailing instructions will soon be posted on the web site. They are similar to the old ones except for a few changes so please take a look.
The most important thing to note is this year displaying of current Gill stickers on the hull is MANDATORY. Gill have given us a large prize fund and a long term committment, in return we need to give them some good publicity.
See you all at Burghfield.
Tom and Char

Roly Mo

Hope the glue is better than the last lot!
RM

grazz

The Gill Series SI appendix is now on the website at http://www.national12.org/events/2009/GillSeries/Gill_Series_Appendix_to_S_I_2009%20v%202.pdf 
Looking forwards to the first event at Burghfield
Graham

Tim Gatti

GILL STICKERS - Didn't I read somewhere that it is also permissable to put your Gill stickers on your sails rather than run the risk of pulling paint off your hull??
If this is the case do the Gill RI's need to be amended? (For us vintage sailors - anybody know how well they stick to dacron?). Tim

Tom Stewart (Guest)

Tim,
The stickers are not the sort that stick to polyester sail cloth so they are going on the hull. Gill have provided enough so that if you peel them off after each event, then you will be able to have new ones at the next event. To make sure that the stickers do not remove your paint you can attach them to a slightly damp hull. 
For easy sticker peeling warm them up with a hairdryer and they should peel off in one piece with no problem and no paint loss.
Tom

Roly Mo

Toms advise came too late for Xanthus, who now has two bald patches.
RM
ps Whats a hair dryer?:-/

Lukepiewalker

It's a device commonly available in Boots and other large consumer establishments for warming epoxy repairs to aid curing. For some reason they are named for their other minor function...

Tom Stewart (Guest)

Sorry to hear abot Xanthus (personally I think bald is the way to go). Gill were vey insistent on the logos being on display and preferrably on the hull. The logos supplied would stick to laminate sails but one of the considerations is that, should you change sails during an event you might fail to display the logo and risk disqualification.
Gill hope to be able to use some N12 images with Gill stickers in their publicity, perhaps 50+ boats on a start line showing their bow stickers! If they get some good images then this will also benefit us as they tend to use them again and again as well as the benefit of their continuing support.
I have lots of good ideas on how to attach stickers temporarily so please contact me if it is a problem.
Tom

John Meadowcroft

I personally enjoy the irony that the man sponsored by Gul is also our Gill series sticker policeman.  On this basis I think that you can be sure that he will be happy to protest anyone who is not properly stickered up.  
I assume that Tom does not worry about putting the Gill stickers on the bow as he thinks we can only see his transom when racing and the back of the boat says Gul... 
Tom has not used a hair drier in a long long time, just sun cream I believe.

n12 Bottom Banner